Friday, July 2, 2010

Day off = Shelf Construction

I am NOT a handy-girl. I do not like to use tools, I do like like to get sweaty, and I do not like to measure twice cut once! SO, we'll just have to see how these DIY cat shelves I've got planned turn out. Here's my supply list:

10 - 24 x 6 laminate shelves
20 - shelf brackets
1 - Large carpet remnant (originally bought to make our own cat condo)
3 - different fabrics from a fabric shop (also originally bought for a DIY cat condo)
1 - package of padding bought with the fabric
1 - Nail gun with nails
1 - Hammer
1 - Husband who will hopefully help me mount the shelves once the carpet and/or fabric is attached

Originally, I was going to just staple carpet on top of the shelves and mount them...sounded easy enough. However, once cut, the carpet has a really ugly edge. I know, it's just a cat room so looks shouldn't be that important. BUT, I don't want them to be super ugly! So, I was going to use some sisal rope around the edge to give a finished look and hide the carpet edges. Well, the sisal rope is not cooperating...I think I need an adhesive of some sort. So, I decided to wrap the fabric around the edges as a border. It turned out alright. Then I decided to try one with the padding and only fabric. It's now my favorite! So, new plan:
Use the 5 already cut carpet pieces for five carpeted shelves. Use the fabric to make 5 padded fabric shelves. I've been taking pictures and will post them later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment