Monday, June 28, 2010

Mo-Kitties, Mo-Problems - Litter boxes

Having a multiple cat household can be fun or frustrating. However, if you are prepared to provide the proper environment, everyone from the kitties to the doubting husband can be happy.
On the top of the list is litter box maintenance. The general rule is one box/per kitty/per floor...PLUS one. Wow, that's A LOT of litter boxes! Okay, lets say you do not have the space for that many litter pans...I know I don't! We are maintaining one litter box per cat only, and they are all in my cat room. YES, I have a room dedicated to my cats. Since we don't have the space for lots of litter boxes, we had to find the right litter box, and the right litter. I have tried the simple basic pan, sifting pans, and automatic litter pans during my search for odor control and ease of use. During my research I found the Omega Paw Roll-N-Clean litter pan. Here's a video of the pan and how it works:


After researching this pan I went to PetsMart and bought two to try out. Both my cats took to the litter pan right away, and I was able to eliminate my old pans the same day I bought the Omega Paw. The large is big enough for my ragdoll at 8 months old...I'm concerned about a full sized 4 year old ragdoll, but only time will tell. The best thing about this litter box is that I don't use a scoop any more. I roll it in the morning and I roll it when I get home from work and I'm able to provide a clean litter box to my kitties and a fresh smelling home for my husband.

As far a litter goes...I recommend any good quality clumping litter, scoop away, fresh step, etc. Since I've had this litter pan the brand of litter is really up to you...as long as it produces a good clump.

No comments:

Post a Comment